It’s not too late to enjoy the last bit of Victoria’s autumn weather and fall activities! Cozy up inside at one of Victoria's brunch places (eggs benedict are a must!), or immerse yourself in world-famous artwork at one of Victoria's several art galleries. We also recommend bundling up and enjoying the fall elements outside at The Butchart Gardens, or at one of Victoria's many hiking trails or beaches.
PLUS, save on Victoria hotel + ferry deals from $99 USD pp/do... It's the best rate of the year!
Read below for our curated list of fantastic activities to do during fall in Victoria, BC.
Ghostly walk with Discover the Past Walking Tours. Credit: Discover the Past Walking Tours.
1. Take a Ghostly Walk or Haunted Tour
Listen to chilling ghost stories in Canada's most haunted city. Experience spine-chilling spooks as you learn about the haunted history of Victoria. For those who are a little less ghost-inclined, there are also non-haunted history tours.
2. Watch the Salmon Run at Goldstream Park
Watch the miracle of nature happening right before your eyes! Every year, salmon storm the Goldstream river to spawn, coming back to the place where many moons prior they had spawned themselves. The salmon run typically lasts from mid-October to early-December and is a great way to educate your kiddos on the importance of natural ecosystems! Visit Goldstream Park's website for more information.
Fall at The Butchart Gardens.
3. Soak in the Fall Colors at The Butchart Gardens
Fall is the perfect time to do a trip to The Butchart Gardens. Not only is it usually quieter, it's also the perfect time to soak in the fall colors... One of our favorite fall spots is the Japanese Gardens. While you are there, enjoy traditional winter tea in The Gardens Dining Room, or sweet treat and warm drink from the Coffee Shop.
Sea Cider Farm and Ciderhouse Room. Credit: Destination Greater Victoria.
4. Taste the Season's Best Ciders
Visit some of the island's best cideries and score yourself a taste of what this harvest season has to offer! You can do tastings at many cideries throughout Vancouver Island, including some of our favorites, Sea Cider Farm and Ciderhouse, Junction Orchard and Cider, and Victoria Cider Co. Enjoy the beautiful scenery while sipping on a delicious beverage!
Pumpkin patch. Credit: Destination Greater Victoria.
5. Get Spooked at Galey Farms
From Pumpkin Fest to CarnEvil, Galey Farms has something for everyone in the family. Visit during the day and take a ride out to the pumpkin patch for family pumpkin picking! Or, arrive at night for the Festival of Fear which includes the corn maze of horror, crazy train and a haunted house! For the scare-seekers, we recommend CarnEvil, a 5,000 square foot haunted house!
Immersive Van Gogh Experience.
6. Immerse Yourself in the Beyond Van Gogh Experience
Enter the world of starry nights and become immersed in the workings of famous artist, Vincent Van Gogh. You will be in awe of all the lights and colors in this fully immersive experience of still and moving art. The experience is in Victoria for a limited time from October 14 to December 31. More details can be found on the Beyond Van Gogh Experience website.
Winter at Mount Washington.
7. Go Skiing or Snowboarding at Mount Washington
Located about a 3-hour drive from our Victoria ferry terminal is Mount Washington, the hot spot for all winter sports on the island. Whether you're looking to do some hiking out near Battleship Lake or ski/snowboard down the slopes, there's something for everyone here. You can rent the extra equipment needed at Mount Washington such as snowshoes, tubes, snowboards, skis, etc. Just make sure to dress warm as Mount Washington is often home to record-breaking snowfalls! Visit Mount Washington's website for more details.
Sunset at Dallas Road.
8. Find Your Peace by the Ocean at a Victoria Beach
Victoria is home to more beautiful beaches than one can imagine, and they remain breathtaking year-round. If you can brave the fall weather, you will be sure enjoy a serene experience in the quiet season. Check out a range of beaches, including Gonzales, Willows, Cattle Point, Witty's Lagoon, or meander along the beaches of Dallas road nearby our terminal.
Burger and fries. Credit: Burger Crush.
9. Eat like a Local in Downtown Victoria
- Red Fish, Blue Fish — Some of the city's best fish and chips!
- 10 Acres Commons — Patio views of bustling Government Street & Inner Harbour.
- Tacofino — Tacos, burritos and nachos... All to die for!
- Burger Crush: Streamlined eatery doling out burgers, shakes & hand-cut fries, plus vegan fare & coconut ice cream.
- Foo Asian Street Food: Easygoing place serving varied Asian street food, beer & cider in a contemporary space with a patio.
- Chimac Korean Pub & Fried Chicken: Fried chicken, soups & other traditional Korean dishes round out the menu at this casual outpost.
- Il Covo — An Italian hidden gem in the historic James Bay neighborhood.
- Heron Rock Bistro — French cuisine made with local ingredients.
- Tapa Bar — Spanish-inspired tapas.
- Be Love — Local, organic, sustainable vegetarian offerings.
- 10 Acres Bistro — A farm-table experience.
- Cafe Brio: Unpretentious choice for salumi, wine & Italian-leaning meals, made from local ingredients.
- NARU Korean Restaurant: Casual, authentic Korean fair in a unique dining room.
Gozen Sushi Bar Izakaya: Japanese small & shared plates & extensive sushi menu with a full bar in a relaxed, modern setting.
Reading at book in Munro's. Credit: Munro's Books.
10. Turn the Pages at Munro's Books
Nothing says fall like curling up with a good book. Luckily, Downtown Victoria is home to Munro's books, a heritage store with spectacular space and an incredible selection. If you're looking for a great book as part of your cozy getaway, Munro's has something for you.
Horse-drawn carriage tour.
11. Tour Victoria on a Cozy Horse-Drawn Carriage Tour
Enjoy historical tales on Victoria's past, present and future on a guided tour of downtown Victoria. Book a private carriage tour and take a unique journey through downtown Victoria and the surrounding areas. Since 1978, Victoria Carriage Tours has been dedicated to providing quality horse-drawn tours.
Brunch at Heron Rock Bistro.
12. Do Brunch in the Brunch Capital of Canada
Breakfast (or brunch) in Canada's brunch capital; a must-do. Our favorite brunch places include Jam Cafe, Blue Fox Cafe, Heron Rock Bistro, Nourish Cafe or The Ruby on Johnson. Most brunch places do not take reservations, so get an early start to the day to avoid the lines!