Close +

ID Requirements

When traveling between Canada and the United States by water, you must present one of the following valid documents as part of the U.S. Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) requirements.

For U.S. and Canadian Citizens

- Valid Passport

- U.S. Passport Card

- Trusted traveler card (NEXUS)

- Enhanced Driver's License from one of the following provinces/states: British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont or Washington State
*Please note: "REAL ID's" (issued by some states to comply with FAA and domestic federal requirements) are not a valid travel document for an international border crossing. 

- Enhanced identification card (for example: enhanced Tribal cards, if available) 

- U.S. Permanent Resident Card (Green Card)

- U.S. Military Identification with military travel orders 

- U.S. Merchant Mariner Document with official maritime business 

All U.S. & Canadian citizens aged 15 and under only need proof of their citizenship with an original or photocopy of a birth certificate or citizenship card.

Groups of U.S. and Canadian citizen children ages 18 and under, when traveling with a school or religious group, social organization, or sports team, will be able to enter under adult supervision with originals or copies of their birth certificates or other proof of citizenship.

For Non U.S. or Non Canadian Citizens

- Valid Passport

Entry into the U.S.:
Beginning Oct. 1, 2022, in accordance with an Interim Final Rule (IFR), all Visa Waiver Program travelers entering the United States, whether by land, sea, or air will now be required to obtain an approved ESTA authorization.

This application process must be done before arriving at our Victoria terminal, and is typically approved within 72 hours of application.  

Click here for more information

Official ESTA Application

Entry into Canada:
A visa may be required to enter Canada for citizens of some countries.

Click here for more information

For more information on border crossing requirements: 

U.S. Customs and Border Protection
Canada Border Services Agency

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Sign Up!